“Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.”

Friday, October 10, 2008

Dazed and Confused

Ok I haven't been blogging here for a while. In between working too much and partying (my team won the AFL Grand Final after a seventeen year wait) there has not been time or brain power to blog. Football season is over. And thank **** for that! My liver hates me and it's time to start behaving myself just a little.

In a moment of serenity last night, I was thinking of Hunter. He didn't give a rat's **** what people thought of him - his ambition in life was to speak truths and have fun. Sounds like a good philosophy to me but sometimes it does make life more difficult. But would he have wanted it any other way? I think he enjoyed most of the battles he created (and sometimes ended) and good for him. I'm sure he has hunted down Nixon by now and is still making his life hell.

I also understand how sometimes Hunter just wanted everyone to nick off and leave him alone. There's a lot to be said for solitude and although some people simply cannot stand being alone, it drives me to the point of insanity if I cannot have time to myself without interruptions and no noise. I can see myself being a hermit on a secluded beach house a hundred kilometres from anyone or anything and living out the rest of my life there quite happily. I can see Hunter's fascination for a place like Big Sur. And indeed, Woody Creek. A fortress, that's what I need. So enough blogging for now, I am going to look for some razor wire before the wolves come knocking back on the door. But before I go here's another quote from the good Doctor:

"We are living in dangerously weird times now. Smart people just shrug and admit they're dazed and confused. The only ones left with any confidence at all are the New Dumb. It is the beginning of the end of our world as we knew it. Doom is the operative ethic."

No comments: