“Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.”

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder....

It never ceases to amaze me just how much "smaller" the world seems these days due to the internet. I am talking about how I have been reacquainted with a few dedicated Hunter fans that reside outside of Australia - Ron and Marty, and of course, John.

Now these three guys are remarkable in their handiwork - you can see Ron and Marty's sites in my links section. Very comprehensive and sure to provide hours of reading when you can't be stuffed doing anything else on these cold winter days and nights. As for John, I have bought quite a few items from him in the past and he remains my favourite Hunter book "seller". My latest purchase from him was just last week - Kitchen Readings - which I am sure is already somewhere between Australia and the US as I write this sentence. It's a weird little community we live in (us Hunter freaks).... despite the distance, we share the same bond.

It is coming up to Hunter's birthday again. Another year that he is gone but his legacy obviously still remains in so many of his fans. I will be sitting down and having a few shots of absinthe on the day of his birthday, probably reading my latest book acquisition, or failing that, watching Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. Sounds like a good plan!

No comments: